Monday, October 20, 2008

My Favorite Place In The World

Friday 5 September I woke up. Well I tried. I don't know at what time I finally woke up but it seemed really early. Then I got into my running clothes and took a garbage bag of clothes down to donate. I saw Adrian leaving and we said goodbye again. Then somehow I managed to go for my last run through Fuente de La Bicha. I showered and got all ready and packed and then went to visit Emilio again. Raul had forgotten his wallet yesterday and I had to get it to take it to him at the beach. I got the wallet from Emilio and said goodbye again. I was hoping he would volunteer to take me to the bus station but he didn't. He was going walking. Then I went to the store and bought my favorite breakfast snack, sobaos. They are like little sponge cakes and really delicious dipped in chocolate milk. Then I ran into Emilio again on my way back in as he was going out for a walk, and said goodbye again. Then back at home I loaded everything up, a backpack, suitcase, purse and my poster and headed down the road to the bus stop. On my way I saw Adrian coming back, since it would be our upteenth goodbye I just told him that he couldn't say goodbye to me even if he wanted to. Then I took the bus to the bus station and bought a ticket to La Herradura. I had some problems with the automatic machine and I was really afraid that the 2 or so tickets left were going to be sold out by the time I waited in the long line. Praise the Lord they weren't and I got my ticket and took the bus to my favortie place in the world, to be with my favorite person. I got there and let myself in and opened up the house and turned on the water. Then I went to the store and bought water and chocolate milk. Then Victor got there. He had arrived from Rome early that morning and after a few work errands headed to the beach. It was the strangest day and so strange seeing eachother. We barely spoke but just gave eachother a hug. Then we went to El Chambao de Joaquín for lunch. We didn't really know what we wanted but ordered a few sides and a main dish to split. We got barbequed octopus, fried baby squid and a fish I don't know what its called in English. We knew it wasn't the cheapest resturant in the pueblo, but we didn not expect the 83 euro bill they slammed us with at the end. Except for that, and the overhanging sadness, it was a pretty nice lunch on the beach. Then back at the house we rested and I cried because we were both really tired. Later Raul came by for his wallet. After he left Victor and I headed down to the beach. It was really windy weather and the waves were enormus. So much so that the floating dock with the slide and diving boards on it had broken loose and was being washed up on shore. We laid out and looked around and took pictures. Then we walked to the video rental place and got "Night at the Museum" and "Stranger Than Fiction." We went back and watched "Stranger Than Ficton." Then we went out for a walk and some tapas. Our favorite tapas place was really full so we walked around some more, but it never let up. So we ended up getting some pretty yummy tapas and an avocado salad at another place I had never tried before. It was yummy. Then we walked down to La Cochera where the greatest rock group from before was going to have a concert. It was of course way too early and there was no one in there and the band was just barely setting up. We sat on the beach for a while and then walked back home.

Saturday 6 September we got up really early because Victor had to go back to Malaga for a meeting. We ate breakfast on the balcony as the sun was rising and then headed to Malaga. I got dropped off at Victor's house and he went to his meeting. I organized the last few things into my suitcases, straightened up the room and gathered up some things for Pepa. Then I headed to the post office to try and mail my poster home. I didn't want it to get bent in my suitcase but the post office didn't have any mailing tubes and neither did the paper store. It was really frustrating but I went home and caught up on my daily notes (otherwise I NEVER would have been able to remember all this!) and fell asleep for a little nap. When I woke up, the sad feeling I had had since yesterday was gone and I was in a really peaceful mood. Victor got home and we headed back to La Herradura. We went and ate at another special resturant for us, La Parrilla and got the special menu. It was really yummy and had all the Spanish favorites. Ham, paté, olive oil, shrip, deliciousness. I also love the blue glass water bottles they have and took the one they gave us. Then we headed back home and watched "Night at the Museum." Well, I watched it, Victor fell asleep. Then we headed down to the secret beach, my favorite part of the beach, which we don't go to very often. The waves were still huge but I wanted to go swimming anyway. After getting smashed by the waves, we got out and laid on the beach for a while. Someone had drug the big floating dock to the secret beach and tied it down there. I also brought the snorkel but it was impossible. We just talked and watched a parachuter come in for landing a ways down the beach and spent all afternoon on the secret beach. Then we went back and I showered and got all ready. Then we drove back to Malaga and to Victor's house. We were pretty much running short on time, as usual. At Victor's house we loaded up all the suitcases and headed to the airport. Everyone else had already checked in so there was no line, but they wanted to charge me domestic extra baggage fees (almost 300 eruos) instead of international (85 euros.) They thought I didn't know what I was talking about, but finally realized I was right and I was thankful that had all worked out. Then I gave Victor his card and pictures. He gave me a Chambao cd, a group he always gives me the cds of. It was really sad, but for some reason I still had an overwhelming sense of peace that everything would be ok. We said a very tearful goodbye and when I just couldn't wait any longer I walked through security.

No comments: