Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Fly Little Firefly Fly, Fly Luciérnaga Fly

After security I headed to my gate which was nearly boarding. The flight to Dublin went well, I was shocked when I arrived in my short sleeves and sandals to find that we would not be exiting through a jetway, but right down some stairs into the freezing night! I was hit by a chilling wind, which I never warmed up from. I tried to manuever my way through customs and figuring out where to go, making sure my luggage was safe and that I was doing the right thing. Usually I never see my luggage nor do I have to leave security and go through it again with a connecting flight. This time, my luggage came out and I wanted to make sure I didn't have to pick it up or take it anywhere and I had to leave security. After wandering around a bit I found the main airport where I would have to check in some time in the next 8 hours. Unfortunately all the good sleeping spots were taking but thankfully I looked up and saw a cafe waiting area through a window above me. Determined to get in there I finally did and was wandering by an area with tables and chairs and a tv when I heard a sound that stopped me in my tracks. It was the "Dun-dunh" of an episode of Law and Order. I couldn't believe it! I stopped and found a place to camp in front of the tv and put on some socks. I watched tv for the next couple of hours and tried to sleep. Then I checked in for my flight and used my last 6 euros to buy a muffin and some hot chocolate. I had been freezing to death all night because for some reason, it is 28 degrees below zero in airports at night and I was very much underdressed for Ireland. Thankfully I had the socks and a little sweater with a hood. Otherwise I might not have made it. Then I wandered around some shops and looked and took another nap in front of my gate. From what I saw of the airport, I think I would have really liked Dublin. Finally after 8 eternal, cold hours, I boarded for my flight to San Francisco. I was so lucky and chose a seat where no one sat next to me. So I took my 2 blankets, 2 pillows, raised the arm rest and snuggled in for the rest of the flight. I ate the meals but barely watched the movies because they weren't very good and I was so tired anyway. So I slept my way to San Francisco and woke up there the next day.

Sunday 7 Septermber I made it through customs with no problem and all my suitcases. My parents were there to greet me with hugs, smiles and flowers. I got lots of complements on how blonde my hair was and how tan I was. The benefits of being on vacation in Spain for 3 months. We went upstairs to get somethign to eat and all of a sudden a screaming black blob ambushed me! It was my sister who had flown up from Long Beach to suprise me! It was the best suprise ever and I was so happy to see her since I thought I wasn't going to for a bit more! She even had flowers for me too. It was so nice. We ate and headed back to Newcastle and after a long time I had finally reached my destination.

It was a crazy few days, my return and having lots of visitors coming up to see me, my sister going back, so much going on. It really sunk in a few days later when everyone had gone back to work and I was home alone. I have been going running with my dog every day and one morning after our run, I got some breakfast and turned on Sesame Street. They had this song about fireflys that they sung in Engilsh and then in Spanish. I had this moment watching Luis Rodriguez, who has been a character on Sesame Street since I was little, sing just like he always did. I learned a new word in Spanish I had never heard before, here in Newcastle. Tele and Baby Bear were cathing fireflies in a jar but then they let them go because they wern't happy when they wern't free. It has been crazy since I've been back. I had to rest and recover from jet lag. I finished up my paper journal and met up with some friends in the area. I made a trip down to South to visit my grandma and friends in Long Beach. It has been great to spend more time with my family who I love so much and enjoy Newcastle. I love nature and my hometown is a very special place for me. I've seen it turn from summer to fall and hint at winter. I've been looking for work and relaxing and figuring out what to do next.

I ended my last blog with "I'll probably write one more entry of closing thoughts sometime later..." I never did. I tried, I really did. But it never really came to a close for me. This is my best attempt at closing thoughts now, but I know it will fall short. I cannot close because Spain has become a part of who I am. I don't know if that will ever be able to close. I don't know what's next, what's right, what I'm supposed to be doing, what God wants or what His will is. All I know is that I love speaking Spanish. I love Spain and Granada. I love Victor and his family. I love God. I was very sad to leave and I feel a longing in my heart for what I left behind. Only time and God will tell if I will ever volver a volver.

No comments: