Saturday, October 18, 2008

La Última

Monday 1 September I woke up early and went downstairs to make sure Victor was getting up to go to work. It's a good thing I did because his alarm didn't go off and he was almost late. He once again had to drive to Malaga, park his car, drop off my two huge suitcases, get a taxi to the airport and get there in time to catch his flight. After he went on his way, I went back to sleep for a while. Then I went for a run and showered and Michelle came over. We went and bought packing tape and then went to Emilio's to package up my box. We got everything ready and put the huge box on Pepa's shopping cart and rolled it to the post office. When we got there, it was a mess. There were huge lines and it was taking forever because their computers had crashed or soemthing. People started leaving so I wanted to see if i could stay, in case they started working again. They never did, but the people were nice enough to let me leave the box there and come back and pay for it when the compters were running so I didn't have to lug it back home, and then back again! On our way home we stopped at a grocery store to get stuff to make a huge salad. We loaded up all the leftovers I had, lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, olives, pasta, eggs, avocado, lentils, the works and had a huge salad with bread and cheese and some ranch dressing I made. It was really yummy and I had been wanting to do that for some time. Then we rested and Michelle had to go get the keys to her new place and I wanted to return my guitar to Antonio and go back to the post office. I went back to Antonio's and gave him the Bonet de San Pedro cd I had found in Canarias and returned the guitar and got my deposit back. It was sad saying goodbye to him. Then I went to the post office and got ripped off as they charged me a ton to mail the box back. Then I went to Michelle's house and helped her pack up the rest of her stuff. She was almost done but we forced it all into 1 trip. Then we hauled it all downstairs in several trips, and to the street in another few. Then we called for a taxi. He came and loaded her 3 suitcases, 4 XL bags, backpack, computer and a few smaller bags and a beach umbrella into the taxi. At least we got it all in 1 trip and only paid for 1 taxi ride. Then we went to her new house and unloaded everything, and started setting stuff up so she could sleep there that night. When she had things semi-under control, we went back to my place for more salad dinner or leftover enchiladas and watched TV. Michelle was pooped from such a crazy move and later she went home. Then I had to change rooms officially and finally. The next day Sara, the girl who was moving in was coming. So I took everything out and moved into Rosa's old room and Jenna's new room. I felt like a guest in what used to be my own house.

Tuesday 2 September I woke up and went for a run. Then I showered and got ready to go to the beach. Michelle and I were going to Salobreña for the day. I ate the leftover salad as and early breakfast lunch and picked up some empanadas on the way to take the bus to the bus station. I finally got to the bus station and met Michelle there. We got our tickets and got right on. Salobreña is the closest beach town to Granada, but I had never been to it because I had always had the privilidge of being shuttled to better beaches, but I had always wanted to go. We got there and set up camp. We spent all day on the beach and in the water. After a bit we moved spots because a big daycare group left and we went into the now empty space. Also Michelle ran into a friend she knew and we chatted with them a bit. It was a good day, nice weather, nice water, nice beach. We also saw some crazy dude with a really impressive mullett bury himself right in front of us. That was hilarious. Then later in the evening we went and I bought a magnet and we got an ice cream. Then we caught the bus back home. I went home and showered and met Sara, the new roommate who had moved in. Michelle also came over and we made tacos and the 3 of us had dinner. It was a nice dinner and we watched a little tv and went to bed.

Wednesday 3 September I woke up and called my dad. I woke up in a really sad mood because of all that was happening but I was trying to ignore. We talked for a long time and I finally went for a run. Then I went to Maria's office to say goodbye to her and return a book to her. It was nice visiting, but also sad. Then I wandered around El Corte Inglés looking for some card or gift or something I could give to Victor and his family. Dissapointed I left and went to the tourist office for some free posters. I also made some copies of some recipies and print off my ticket, which was a hassel becasue I had to go to several different places. Then I met Michelle and we finally went to Buen Gusto, the Chinese resturante I always ate at with my girls the last time I studied abroad. I had been watning to go back since I got back, but never had the opportunity. The food was exactly the same. Then we went back to my place and I dropped off my posters and stuff. Then Michelle and I took the bus to her house and carted a bunch of stuff of mine that she was adopting. Michelle was still setteling in and organizing so I helped her by falling asleep on her bed. Then she was really tired too so she took a nap and I left to go visit and go on a walk with Antonio and Bea. I took the bus there and walked all the way up to their house. When I got there Santi was there too. We visited a bit and had tea. Then Santi left and the three of us went to explor the old city wall and the caves where people lived. There were some really nice caves, that looked like luxury houses and some really crappy caves that looked like hovel dumps. It was all so neat and something I had been wanting to do a long time, but had never known how to get up there. After a bit, Floren called us and came too. We looked all around and could see Sacromonte and just had a nice time. It got sad though because Floren didn't know I was leaving and I had to try and explain when he found out. I almost started crying becuase I was so sad. It is impossible to explain why, when I don't understand either. We hung out inside for a while and had chorizo and bread and visited. Then I left with Floren and walked down to Michelle's house. She got her stuff together and came over and spent the night. We had dinner and watched tv.

Thursday 4 September I woke up early to go to the bank and close out my account. It was closed for some reason so I came back. Michelle had left early to get her residency card and paperwork taken care of (The reason she spent the night, I live much closer to the police station.) I used the internet a bit and while doing so, she came back. Then I went back down to the bank and closed my account. Then I went for a run while Michelle did internet stuff. Then I took a shower and Michelle went with me to drop off some pictures I wanted developed. I had the idea to write nice cards to everyone and print off cute pictures of the kids for them. Michelle had helped me pick them out the night before. So we went and dropped off the pictures to be printed and then I went to the Corte Inglés and bought nice cards. Then Michelle went back to her house and I went back to the tourist office for a better poster of the Alhambra. I found out mine from the day before was ripped when I got home. Good thing they are free. Then I found a covered doorway where I could sit and not bother anyone and write my cards. I had to write Emilio and Pepa's, Nacho and Alicia's and Raul and Patricia's all before lunch time. So I camped out and there was a mini, freak rainstorm, so I was glad I was under an awning. I wrote the cards until it was time to pick up the pictures, which I was really thankfull would be ready before lunch. Then I went back to my building, but I couldn't go to my house because the landlord was supposedly coming that day. I went straight to Emilio's and put the pictures in their respective envelopes, went down and brought bread for Emilio and then went to Los Ogíjares for my last, big family lunch and to say goodbye. Raul and Patricia had come up for the day just to say goodbye to me. Nacho and Alicia were there too with the kids. It was a sad, strange day. I hung out with everyone and helped feed the kids. Nacho wasn't going to be able to make it for lunch and Raul was late. While we were waiting they had some presents for me. Nachete and Marina and Marcelo, their cousin, had drawn me pictures and written me notes. Nacho and Alicia bought me a cute purse. Their note said, "This isn't goodbye, this is a see you later. Know that you are leaving behind a big family who loves you very much." For some reason I didn't start crying, (which I have everytime since, then that I read their note, including now when I type it.) Raul and Patrica bought me a nice necklace. I gave them their cards, which they really liked and like the pictures. Pepa was crying and sniffly all day and so I just set her card aside and told her she could open it when she wanted to. Then after a long wait, us ladies ate with Emilio. Then Raul came home and he ate. Pepa and I visited as Emilio and the kids had gone down for their naps. I spent all day there. It was nice but awkward. I wanted to leave because it was so uncomfortable, but I never wanted to leave because it would be the last time. I took care of the kids, Pepa finally took her nap and we just spent all day there. I told Pepa that she should open her card to look at her pictures, that she didn't have to read it, but she read it anyway. She of course started bawling. Emilio went back to Granada, but he was rushing my goodbyes so I stayed. Then Raul and Patricia left, but they were stopping some place before going back and couldn't take me back. Then finally Nacho came home, and I got to see him. After a while, I said my final goodbyes, and forced Pepa to say goodbye to me. She went and hid upstairs but I found her. It was so sad and tearful. I didn't cry at all, probably because Wednesday was my crying day. Then Nacho took me home. It was really sweet of him and he gave me a huge hug. We talked on the way home and had one more listen to Rock And Goal, the best rock/soccer radio station in the world. I stopped by Emilio's really fast and said goodbye too. Then I was back and had said goodbye. I started writing and finishing up my cards for Michelle and Victor. Michelle was on her way over and I gave her her card. After finishing Victor's I got ready and we went to Michelle's place and dropped off the last of my stuff she was adopting and then out for a last walk and tapas around Granada. We got three rounds of tapas at La Bodega and then went to Hannigans. Adrian came and met us there. We talked and hung out with this one girl who leeched onto our group. Then we went to Granero, a different bar. It was really fun because they played really great music and all these wierdos kept talking to us. I just thought it was really funny because they were mostly talking to Michelle and I was just laughing my head off. There was one guy who looked like a vampire and another whose pants fell off they were so baggy. Finally Adrian, who was visiting some friends in a bar next door came back and saved us from the vultures. We got free passed to go to Metro and later I said goodbye to Adrian and he went home. I made Michelle go with me but we were so early (around 3 AM) that no one was there! We got our passes back and started the walk home. I had to say goodbye to Michelle which was really sad. Then I said goodbye to the pomegranete tree in front of the post office like Emilio told me to. Then I had one last night time walk thought the city center, past my favorite walkway in Granada, my favorite park, the monkey bridge and river and home to my house. It was really emotional. Then back at home Adrian was still awake. I still had a lot of stuff to do, like getting everything ready for tomorrow, packed and on its way. I said goodbye to Adrian again when he went to bed and then stayed up finishing "The Davinci Code" so I could give it back to him. I finally fell asleep just 2 hours before I wanted to get up. Like I always say, "You can sleep when you are dead, or don't live in Granada."

No comments: